The "Palace" pattern was introduced in the 1850s. Traditionally it has been associated with the 1853-55 exhibition of "Art and Industry" held at New York's Crystal Palace. Surviving cut examples are probably earlier than their pressed and mold blown counterparts.
An 1856-7 ad by Curling, Robertson & Co. of Pittsburgh shows pressed goblets in the Palace pattern alongside a decanter that matches surviving mold blown examples.
Although the pitcher continued to appear in the New England Glass Company catalog as late as 1868-9, it is likely that the company introduced it in the mid-to-late 1850s.
|Pressed Glass of the New England Glass Company: An Early Catalogue at the Corning Museum
Lura Woodside Watkins.
Journal of Glass Studies XII (1970), p. 149-164.
|The pitcher, item 1184, is shown on plate 22 of the 1868-9 catalog, reproduced in figure 13, page 161.|
|Pittsburgh Glass, 1797-1891
Houghton Mifflin Company, 1976.
|The 1856-7 Curling, Robertson ad is shown in figure 328 on page 304. Innes discusses "Cut and Shut" on pages 66-68. As figure 24 shows, the base is first closed — shut — before excess glass is trimmed — cut — away.|
|The New England Glass Company Catalog of Pressed Glass.
Jane Shadel Spillman.
The Acorn, Journal of the Sandwich Glass Museum VII (1997), p. 70-98.
|While Watkins' article shows the line drawings in the 1868-9 catalog, Spillman also included corresponding text. Plate 22 and its text are shown on page 95.|